Tuesday 7 April 2015

FACE IT - IT'S THE TIME


It took me one and half months to gather courage to confront to my parents about what I want to do. I was pretending that I wanted to a job, but every time I felt guilty of pretending. When they were doing so much for me, they deserve honesty from me. So, I first told about it to my mother that I have been planning to do a business using my research. She suggested me to do it part time. But to plant a new idea in people’s mind is not an easy job. It requires dedicated and consistent efforts. To achieve that, I can’t do it a part time business. According to my mother, uncertainty was as issue, but she didn’t say it directly. At first, she could see opportunities. I was able to present the facts which I prepared during that one and half month. Though, she was showing support, I knew from her body language that she hadn’t accepted my idea of risking.

The high command was my father. Their approval and acceptance was more important. My mother told me to ask father and then decide. As there has always been a fear of father’s reaction due to his short tempered nature, I couldn’t gather courage to confront him on the day I decided. Not even after three days after that day. I wasted four days in procrastination due to my fear. But I had to do it one day; otherwise regrets would have been more painful. It was Thursday. After having dinner, my parents were watching TV in the hall. I was in bedroom holding the book to help me present my view in front of them and walking back and forth. Mt brother also thought that I’d gone crazy. He asked, ‘what was the matter with you?’ I ignored him. And I went straight in the hall.

I said that I want to discuss about what I wanted to do with my life. Mother looked at me; but father was looking at TV and said ‘hmm’. I started telling them what I want to do and how I was going to do it. Still, father nodded looking at TV. Was that program so important? I couldn’t understand why he was taking me for granted? Only one reason. My mother had told him about it and he made up his mind about it. So he closed his mind and don’t want to take inputs from me. Or at least listen to what I had to say. The moment I came to know this, I closed my book and realized it was going to be so difficult. How can we give something if someone is not ready to accept? I barely said four lines and stopped noticing his reaction.


When I stopped, he turned off TV and then looked at me. He gave me every reason for next one hour about practicality and why I should not pursue what I really wanted to do. To my surprise, mother was also supporting him. They explained me every aspect of practicality, from why money is so important to why people won’t pay me for giving them advices, from you don’t have any degree to why idea is very difficult to plant. Yes, they were right. But, I was talking about doing something unique and it was going to take some time. My father gave me another option. He suggested me to start any production line or workshop. He wasn’t against doing a business, but against doing business of selling an idea. Because, it is more difficult to sell an idea than to sell a product. But, I wasn’t interested. I didn’t counter them at any point of time, because I knew that they had closed their minds to my inputs. We had completely opposite set of beliefs. In the end, I asked them for some time to think. I didn’t want to go back to my engineering life. I asked for some time to think of different way to convince them. They agreed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is also a part of Ultimate Blog Challenge and A to Z Challenge
Today's letter is 'F'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To know more about yourself from your smile, send me photo of your smile. I respect your privacy, so I assure you that your identity will not be revealed anywhere. And this service is absolutely free!!
Email Id. - iwantsmileforme@gmail.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment